Is the ventilation perfusion lung scan still useful in diagnosing pulmonary embolism?

Bottom line: A diagnostic strategy combining clinical assessment, d-dimer, ultrasonography, and lung scan can provide a noninvasive diagnosis before conducting a CT scan can provide a diagnosis in a majority of outpatients with suspected PE.

Summary:  Noninvasive diagnosis of pulmonary embolism.  Chest. 2011 (June); 139 (6): 1294-1298.
Investigators designed a diagnostic algorithm that included clinical probability assessment, plasma D-dimer testing, sequential testing to include lower limb venous compression ultrasonography, ventilation perfusion lung scan, and chest CT.

Study included 321 consecutive patients presenting at a university hospital  with clinically suspected PE and positive d-dimer or high clinical probability (Well’s Criteria.)  RESULTS:  Diagnosis was established by ultrasonography detection of DVT for 43 (13%) and by lung scan associated with clinical probability in 243 (76%).  Chest CT  was required in only 35 (11%) of the patients. The 3-month thromboembolic risk in patients not given anticoagulants, based on the results of the diagnostic protocol, was 0.53%, similar to the rate when invasive angiography rules out PE (Brett AS.  Journal Watch General Medicine.  June 21, 2011.)

Advertisements

About Amy

Clinical Informationist at EUH Branch Library
This entry was posted in Diagnosis, EUH and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.