Mandalà M,et al. Management of venous thromboembolism in cancer patients: ESMO clinical recommendations. Ann Oncol. 2008 May;19 Suppl 2:ii126-7.
Clinical guidelines managing VTE in cancer patients
Evidence cited are 4 RCTs from the meta-analysis below
Noble SI, et al. Management of venous thromboembolism in patients with advanced cancer: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Lancet Oncol. 2008;9(6):577-84.
Error in Figure 2 – see corrected figure below.
Objective: Review anticoagulation treatment in patients with cancer, with particular focus on patients with advanced disease
- Reproducible search of multiple medical databases, hand-searching of journals article reference lists.
- Data extracted by 2 authors independently.
- Only included studies with appropriate methodology and reporting anticoagulant treatment in patients with advanced cancer.
Corrected Fig. 2: Risk of developing recurrent venous thromboembolism with low- molecular-weight heparin compared with warfarin
- Pooled (4 RCTs) RR=0.51, LMWH halves the risk compared to warfarin
- Fig. 3: Risk of bleeding with low-molecular-weight heparin compared with warfarin Pooled RR=1.10, no statistical difference